[ExI] Transhumanist valentines

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Feb 15 16:33:19 UTC 2015

Bill Hibbard <test at ssec.wisc.edu> , 15/2/2015 4:06 PM:
> Any others?

Say it with blue roses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_rose#Genetically_engineered_roses

Neat idea! Somewhat related, and way more personal, is to give flowers with your own DNA:
http://www.ekac.org/nat.hist.enig.html

"The new flower is a Petunia strain that I invented and produced through molecular biology. It is not found in nature.  The Edunia has red veins on light pink petals and a gene of mine is expressed on every cell of its red veins, i.e., my gene produces a protein in the veins only [2]. The gene was isolated and sequenced from my blood. The petal pink background, against which the red veins are seen, is evocative of my own pinkish white skin tone. The result of this molecular manipulation is a bloom that creates the living image of human blood rushing through the veins of a flower."

You can say:

Petunias are red,
Roses are blue,
Thaumatin is sweet,
And so are you.Here is a flower, I made it myself.

I really ought to do that. And of course, one can add love poetry to the genome.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University