[ExI] Zombie glutamate

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 23:31:47 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 4:24 AM, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The idea is not to copy behaviour as such but to model the components. An
> engineer can take a component from a machine, put it through a series of
> tests, and make a replacement component from perhaps completely different
> parts that, if done properly, should work just like the original when
> installed - even if the exact way the machine works is unknown.

### Well, this is getting a bit tricky here - if you don't know what the
machine is doing, how do you know your tests of its components capture the
relevant features you need to put into your replacement part? If you feel
that the brain is there to produce heat, you may end up making a 100 watt
space heater and miss the point.

The modeling procedure has to capture the informational content that is
being manipulated by the machine and then you have to be able to separate
the incidental physical aspects of the substrate that performs
computations, to make physically different yet computationally sufficiently
similar components. We are assuming that an uploading procedure will have
to do just that, and I do think that it is feasible, and any upload that
reasonably faithfully reprises the computational structure of the original
will experience qualia.

Rafał