[ExI] darpa's notion of using a retrofitted fighter jet to launch payloads

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 02:45:12 UTC 2015

On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 5:16 PM, justin corwin <outlawpoet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Adrian! I didn't realize you were working in this area.

I thought for sure I'd mentioned CubeCab on this list before.

> A dedicated cubesat launcher is definitely interesting. Are things too
> early stage for you to talk more specifics?

I can give some info.

> Is this a new launcher, or are you buying/licensing a rocket from somebody
> else?

New.

> You say you aren't rounding up lots of cubesats before launching, does
> that mean it's a relatively small launcher, like the ones from earlier in
> this thread?

A tiny launcher with a payload capacity of 1 CubeSat.  We're making 2
models: one for 1Us and one for 3Us.  The 3U is easier - scaling rockets
down is our biggest technical challenge - so we're working on that first.

> I like thinking about it, but I worry that the margins just aren't high
> enough to deal with all the crap that being a real space company brings
> you. I would be very interested in your experiences in running/starting
> cubecab.

Getting the cost down is part of the core of our development effort.

I do not suppose you might be able to help?  We have engineers (and you
wouldn't be able to help with that anyway, unless you're local to the
Silicon Valley area); what we need help with is all the other things that
go into a business: marketing, fundraising, et cetera.