[ExI] RES: More Advanced Extraterrestrials

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 13 14:38:20 UTC 2015

>... On Behalf Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] RES: More Advanced Extraterrestrials

On 13 January 2015 at 06:59, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:
>> ###...Not even one
> of them deciding to send out even a single self-replicating probe
> designed to self-replicate for ever, just for the heck of it?
>

>...But think about the effects of speeding up your brain processing by
possibly thousands of times.
You are trapped in an unchanging physical world. If you decide to send out a
probe, then first it takes the equivalent of thousands of years (brain time)
to build it and then you have to watch it while it takes thousands of years
(brain time) to move about a yard. BillK

It's already happened, BillK.  We already have, by current technologically
plausible means, a way to create a large number of independently orbiting
reflectors, which would collectively reflect sufficient sunlight to move our
entire star, along with all its planets.  The number you called out,
multiple brain lifetimes to move a yard, is on the right order, but
acceleration is the key, not the distance moved.  So we could move the
entire solar system the distance to the currently nearest star, 4 plus
lightyears, in about 20 million years.  Because of the brain processing
speed-up, we don't even take such proposals seriously.