[ExI] Robust and beneficial AI

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Jan 13 21:32:35 UTC 2015

1300 - wow! I remember when we were just a handful...

spike <spike66 at att.net> , 13/1/2015 6:18 PM:
Whether or not it is a legitimate means of determining the propriety of signing a petition, most of us here will likely confess we are influenced by the presence or absence of other signers.

I was following the changes over the weekend in the signatory list - before it went very public I noticed that there were a few re-orderings, no doubt because the FLI people were trying to figure out the proper way of showing who had signed up originally without just sorting it by fame. It does matter if the top names are actual AI researchers or talk-show hosts...

(While I think petitions with zillions of names are usually a waste of effort, it is useful to show that there exists a fairly big consensus about something, shared by domain stars, insiders and the public. )
 I took the list of over 1300 signers and listed them two ways, alphabetical by last name and alphabetical by first name, listed below.  This one was a slam dunk: Anders wrote it.  I already know that fine lad thinks carefully and ethically and doesn't do the wrong thing.

Oh dear... Me, careful or moral?! (Spike, I should introduce me to my mother so you can act as a character witness :-) )

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University