[ExI] SETI for Post Singularity Civs

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 11:38:13 UTC 2015

On 15 January 2015 at 23:43, Flexman, Connor  wrote:
> A big strike against the strong version of that hypothesis is that we can
> map out DM in galaxies and see that it's relatively uniformly distributed
> throughout each galaxy and out to > 4 times the luminal galaxy radius. Any
> entities or civilization would need structure as negentropy and if the
> strong hypothesis were true then we would expect to observe either more
> structure or less uniformity between DM inside and outside the galaxy (one
> should be favorable, not equally acceptable). This is why all DM can't be
> PSEs.
<snip>

Don't you just hate it when somebody makes sensible comments to spoil
a neat thought?  :)

I agree that the whole 26.8% that is dark matter can't be post-sing
civs. As you say the distribution seems too widespread and DM existed
before the galaxies formed.

I just intended to suggest that dark matter might be a good hiding
place for post-sing civs. We don't yet know what dark matter consists
of, but I agree that such weakly interacting stuff appears to be
unlikely to be able to support 'life'.  But we also don't know what a
post-sing civ is capable of.

To me it seems more likely really that post-sing civs use nanotech to
go very small and move away from star systems into deep space where
they would be undisturbed and undetectable. Assuming they can obtain
enough energy there. As mentioned earlier, high-speed computing
implies no need to interface much with the 'frozen' outside universe.

I also give a lot of weight to John Clark's suggestion that gaining
control of our pleasure centres could be the most addictive drug ever
created and could lead to the disappearance of civs. The powerful
attraction of computer gaming, virtual reality and smartphone
addiction is a strong indicator.

BillK