[ExI] SETI for Post Singularity Civs

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Fri Jan 16 12:20:36 UTC 2015

> On Jan 15, 2015, at 1:49 AM, Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:
>
> If we take the assumption that the most extant civilizations in the galaxy are going to post-singularity types, then it seems to me that we might be searching for them in completely the wrong way.
>
> The lack of visible mega-engineering...

Just thinking way outside the box, diverging from the materialist perspective that dominates futurist circles, I want to represent a post-materialist perspective. This may be something I said a year ago when this annual topic arose. I propose that exponential technology increase will quickly revolutionize our understanding of consciousness such that we may come to find that our evolution necessitates departure from meat and the metal technology we construct into a much harder to detect substrate or dimension. If true, our predecessors cannot be located by our traditional means. This is at least as probable as the materialist view at this point given our understanding of consciousness. Either way, the nature of consciousness will be revealed via empiricism likely with AI type projects that try to create what some might call a ghost in the machine. There is really no point in arguing about it until then. (Just trying to discourage a flame war on the merits of materialism. As Brent will tell you, those arguments have been played out ad nauseam. )
-Henry