[ExI] SETI for Post Singularity Civs

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 22:23:51 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:49 AM, Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com> wrote:

> The lack of visible mega-engineering structures could be due to the
> faulty assumption that post-biologicals would want to go big. But big
> structures are inherently inefficient resource-wise.[...]  Large structures
> are therefore thermodynamically inefficient.

Having the entire energy output of 100 billion stars radiate uselessly into
infinite space is very thermodynamically inefficient indeed, and yet that
is exactly what we observe. If ET had sent just one single Von Neumann
Probe to a nearby star at a speed no faster than what our spacecraft can
travel at today then a Von Neumann Probe could be sent to every star in the
galaxy in just 50 million years, a blink of a eye cosmically speaking. And
if that had happened a blind man in a fog bank could detect ET. But we
don't see the slightest hint of ET despite having looked for him with our
largest telescoped for over half a century. So where is everybody?

  John K Clark