[ExI] SETI for Post Singularity Civ

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 06:32:06 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 4:00 AM, various people wrote on this topic

snip

Re the whole topic related to M brains, Jupiter brains and related,
nobody has ever answered my interrelated concerns of waste heat
dissipation and speed of light delays.  The laws of the universe, as I
understand them, don’t allow for physically large objects to be fast
thinkers.

I think the best we engineering inside these limits is large
computation systems spread over spheres and sunk in a cold ocean.  Of
course you can build large systems in space, but they would be
relatively large heat sinks with a limited node of computation.  Speed
of signals between nodes would be unbearably slow, with each isolated
by a huge communication delay.

That’s been my objection since Perry Metzgar started talking about
this topic back in the 1990s.

Keith