[ExI] SETI for Post Singularity Civs

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 20:05:31 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 11:58 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> What happens when a group of individuals are perfectly adapted to their
> environment?  No progress, right?

Right, but the only people I know that are perfectly adapted to their
environment and are content with things exactly as they are now are drug
addicts with a unlimited supply of Heroin.

> Look at the AmerIndians, the sub-Saharan Africans, the South American
> Indians, and others.  Would they still be living the same life if they
> hadn't been disturbed by European explorers?  A good bet is "yes".​

Technology and civilization did develop in those places and did so
independently.  It's true that they developed more slowly there than
elsewhere so maybe they'd be at about the same level now if they hadn't
been disturbed by Europeans, but that's only been 500 years. They might
have stayed about the same for another thousand years,  maybe two, but
would they have stayed exactly the same for another 100 thousand years, or
a million, or a billion? I don't think so.

> > Why couldn't a culture exist that just keeps doing the same thing for
> millions of years because it keeps on working?  Humans have a drive to
> invent and create and no other species on our planet has it. Maybe alien
> cultures are just Type B, laid back, content,

So either ET doesn't exist or he does but is dull as dishwater and not
worth meeting, either way we'd have the most advanced civilization in the
Galaxy and probably the Universe as other Galaxies don't look like they've
been engineered either.

 John K Clark