[ExI] My personal "intelligence" failure regarding Bitcoin...

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Jan 25 12:33:54 UTC 2015

John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> , 24/1/2015 4:57 PM:

Stop kicking yourself, you'll go nuts if you keep thinking "if only".

Very good advice! Anybody on this list who is even half creative will over their life come up with several ideas they do not act on, yet a decade down the line makes somebody a billionaire. It happens to everybody.

(I wrote a working Bayesian spam filter in the earliest days of spam in the 90s, showed it to my colleagues, and then we forgot about it.)

When trying to pick up The Next Big Thing, expect that you are going to miss a lot of them. And that the TNBTs that many others already talk about are hype bubbles that anyway by now it is hard to get a good investment in. Instead, look for stuff you think you have good reasons to believe in, invest money/effort you can afford to lose, and spread the risks widely.

Anders Sandberg, Future of Humanity Institute Philosophy Faculty of Oxford University