[ExI] powers of ten

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 27 19:20:17 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:54 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] powers of ten

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 9:42 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

News just in......

Oldest Planetary System Discovered, Improving the Chances for
Intelligent Life Everywhere
by Nancy Atkinson on January 27, 2015

<http://www.universetoday.com/118510/oldest-planetary-system-discovered-improving-the-chances-for-intelligent-life-everywhere/>

Yes, I am surprised that rocky planets could form only 3 bullion years after the Big Bang.

  John K Clark

Indeed?  The early universe would have had plenty of type 1A supernovae near the core of a galaxy.  The ejected metals would form accretion discs around neighboring stars, and you get rocky planets.

I would have gone along with your notion had you said wet rocky planets.  It is a fun time to be alive for those who ponder how we got to be that rare type, but I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if dry rockies were found as early as 3 billion years or before.  There must have been 1As everywhere back in those days.  Seems like we should be able to measure that with the Hubble ultra-deep images.