[ExI] Why so much published 'science' is wrong.

rex rex at nosyntax.net
Thu Jul 16 04:25:10 UTC 2015

spike <spike66 at att.net> [2015-07-11 18:41]:

LIS, it was the paleolithic era (late '60s early '70s) and I didn't
have the Union Card so I wasn't tenure track. I drifted off into
what is now called the quant world of stochastic PDEs and such.
I still try to work in the area, but I'm mostly an old dog lying on
the porch watching the pups romp and wishing that I could still do
that. So, don't expect much. :(

I put my "lab notebook" on Mediawiki and eventually made it public, so
anyone can see the math stuff I've played with over the last few years.

www.nosyntax.net/cfwiki/

Most of it is quite incomplete, but a few pages have some R code that
some might find useful or interesting. For example, does knowing the
suit of an ace change the probability a hand contains two aces?

http://www.nosyntax.net/cfwiki/index.php/Two_aces

Believers in martingale betting might learn something from
this page:

http://www.nosyntax.net/cfwiki/index.php/Martingale_betting

> I think you were right all along.  Sir, approximately when did you reach that conclusion?

I don't know. I ranted about the waste of time inculcating integration
tricks when I was teaching, but my drift into recognizing the
relative importance of statistical inference came later. Now, I use
R for almost everything.

http://cran.r-project.org/

My tagline was stripped by a bug I've never been able to locate.
Let's see if it escapes this time...

"Torture numbers and they'll confess anything."

-rex