[ExI] maliciously doctored facts

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Wed Jul 29 21:44:39 UTC 2015

On 7/29/15 2:05 PM, Bill commented on my .sig:
> Rationality is about drawing correct inferences from limited,
>       confusing, contradictory, or maliciously doctored facts.
>    -- Scott Alexander
>
> I'd say this is sheer dumb luck.  How can one be rational when the 'facts'
> are false, or the data aren't complete, or are ambiguous or even completely
> biased by doctoring?
>
> bill w

The point of rationality is wading through a sea of purported facts,
observations, opinions and advice, and picking out the strain of
most-likely-to-be-true.

The maliciously doctored facts aren't your only sources. At least they
shouldn't be.

Chris
--
It is easy to turn an aquarium into fish soup, but not so
easy to turn fish soup back into an aquarium.

Chris Hibbert
hibbert at mydruthers.com
http://mydruthers.com