[ExI] Pigeons offend Islam

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Sat Jun 6 19:17:40 UTC 2015

Adrian wrote:

>More seriously, is it now time to acknowledge that the Islamic State
>is not Islamic?

Who are you to say that it isn't? Who is anyone?

No one gets to speak for all Christians, all Jews, all Buddhists, all
atheists, or all Muslims. Even where there is a titular head, such as
the Pope or the Dalai Lama, that's most often just for a
denomination. Not the religion as a whole. And plenty of people think
themselves good Catholics and act in contravention of official Church
doctrine or the word of the Pope.

Is it not the fallacy of No True Scotsman to say that the Islamic
State is not Islamic?

My approach is to assume that a self-definition I'm presented with is
true, excluding absurdities. If you tell me you're Islamic or a
musician, I'll adopt a working assumption that you are. If you tell
me you're Thomas Edison or a jelly bean, I'll assume you aren't.

-- David.