[ExI] Are Limited Lifespans An Evolutionary Adaptation?

Ben bbenzai at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 22:47:12 UTC 2015

BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it is controversial. All they have is very neat computer
> simulations matching ageing to resources.
>
> But as the article points out, there are problems with the two other
> theories of why humans age.
> The ?mutation accumulation? theory, where the repair mechanism wears
> out and the ?antagonistic pleiotropy? theory, where traits that are
> beneficial in early life are detrimental in later life.

There are more than just three theories, but personally, I'm pretty
convinced that ageing is best viewed as simply entropy.  Even if repair
mechanisms work perfectly, there will be things that can't be repaired,
and an accumulation of damage will eventually take its toll.  The only
real long-term solution is complete replacement with new parts.

Ben Zaiboc