[ExI] Fwd: [tt] Identity thread again

i2i 0.20788 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 14:07:11 UTC 2015

Dear Rafal,

I did not say that "the concept of identity" is fictitious, I said
that identity (as a thing in itself) is fictitious. I also did not say
you are fictitious, although I don't know for sure. The status of AI
being what it is, you must be at least one person. You have passed the
Turing test. Congratulations.

I did not say "the hard problem of consciousness" is "entailed by our
mind's ability to categorize self", I said it is an illusory problem
that arises from the confusion of a mind regarding itself as an
object. This does call for elaboration - more than I will give here.
But basically, the "hard problem" is just the difficulty of giving a
coherent expression, in any language, of what we perceive in this
situation, which is uniquely different from any situation in which the
"subject" is discussing "objects" external to and other than itself.

Maybe it is obvious to you that our ascription of "identity" to
"objects" is just an aspect of how we think, but it was not obvious to
me; it took me a long time to understand that and I still encounter
many people making silly arguments about how "identity is preserved"
in one situation and not in another, as if "identity" were an aspect
of the world itself (Parfit's "further fact").

As to rights, they exist only in a social context. The "right" of
suicide, for example, is hotly debated. In general, most people agree
that suicide is not a right, it is a wrong. Urging others to suicide
is almost always regarded as a wrong, and even as a crime. There must
be some deep reasons why most people regard human survival and human
security as worth protecting against all threats, even those that
arise from human activities and even against the possibility of
pathological choices. But that's another discussion.

best wishes,
Mark

Mark Avrum Gubrud
gubrud at gmail.com