[ExI] robots again

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 18:20:01 UTC 2015

C'mon you guys and gals - you've let me down - not that you owe me.  As a
personality psychologist I am intensely interested in your takes on future
humans and future robots.

As usually depicted in fiction, robots and AIs are mostly totally passive
personalities - running other machines, following orders, responding to
questions, but hardly ever being active, presenting problems before they
occur and so on.  The partly organic AIs in Dan Simmons Ilium and Olympos
[highly recommended] are the closest to human personalities I've run across
(and would love to hear about more), interested in Proust and Shakespeare
and more.

Since we program them, we can program anything we can, and so why not
program them to have personalities?  About the only personality traits
depicted in fiction are the voices - sultry altos, etc.

Will they be introverted or extroverted? Calm or neurotic  (C3PO)?  Open to
experience?  Much has been written about the morality of AIs, robots, etc.
What is your take on this?

Or, if you know of some really good writings on these subjects, fact or
fiction,  I will be in your debt if you let me know about them.

Thanks!

Bill W