[ExI] bees again

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed May 27 14:48:47 UTC 2015

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dave Sill
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 5:58 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] bees again

Check out:

  https://www.google.com/search?q=honey+bee+phenology <https://www.google.com/search?q=honey+bee+phenology&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8> &ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

For a list of bee-tracking activities.

-Dave

Thanks Dave!  I have been thinking of creating an instrument to measure bee activity using a microphone and a data logger.  The standalone data logger is only 16 bucks and plugs into a USB port.  The microphone is cheap and I don’t yet know what I need to make the microphone talk to the data logger, but I am thinking I would convert the SPL (sound pressure level) to a voltage and trigger a time stamped data point whenever the SPL reaches a threshold.  More data points = more bees.

We could make these things for fifty bucks, ja?  One way or another, we need some kind of standard instrument to measure bee activity.  I think I am with Dave and BillK: we are seeing a combination of cumulative toxicity, parasites and starvation working together against our beloved partners in food production.