[ExI] Existential Risks might be underestimated

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:12:12 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:39 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> On May 28, 2015, at 6:30 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >…To my mind the large population is the main problem.  Shall we be
> forced on a global basis to institute Chinese limits on birthing?  Enforced
> sterility?  License to had a child?
>
> That solution space contains more space than solution.  Reasoning: where
> babies are outlawed, only outlaws have babies.  There isn’t much we can do
> about it, because they outnumber you, so they outvote you.  If you try to
> enforce your will anyway, they kill you, which isn’t difficult because they
> outnumber you.
>
> >…Anyone reading this won't be around to find out, so why worry?  bill w
>

> Our children and their children will be around to find out.  Our frozen
> brains will be around to find out, if everything works out better than I
> expect.
>

> It is clear enough to me that humanity’s path to survival is figuring out
> some kind of renewable energy source, such as Keith’s space based system
> and a massive simultaneous ground-based effort.  We would somehow turn the
> war machine to the new task of manufacturing solar panels by the jillions,
> and somehow turn the legal machine to sweeping away restrictions keeping us
> from blanketing huge swaths of desert with ground-based solar facilities.
>

> spike

​So, what is to make anyone in the future curb population?  If your answers
hold, then the population will grow more and more until we have to build
cities underground and on the ocean.  How many people are enough?  50
billion?  one trillion?  98 trillion?  What is going to make people stop?
More is not better. ​