[ExI] Will cosmic rays stop human space travel? (BillK)

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Fri May 29 15:34:29 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015  Flexman, Connor <connor_flexman at brown.edu> wrote:

> I think superconducting solenoids a la LHC work at about 10 Tesla for
> almost a meter, so we'd need something like that all around the spacecraft.

The magnets at the LHC are strong enough to cause protons with an energy of
6.5 TeV to bend into a curve with a 2.7 mile radius, you'd need
something stronger to protect a spacecraft, you'd need something that would
cause them to form a curve with a radius of just a few hundred feet. And
although rare some cosmic rays are MUCH more powerful than 6.5 Tev. And
magnetic fields would be no help at all against X rays or Gamma rays.

  John K Clark