[ExI] Dogs in space

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Thu Nov 5 12:15:32 UTC 2015

http://nyti.ms/1Om6IvJ
Australia Deploys Sheepdogs to Help a Penguin Colony Back From the Brink

>The population of little penguins on an island in Australia has
>bounced back thanks to the vigilance of a few sheepdogs.

The story is interesting in of itself. But it brings up a long-held
view of mine.

We co-evolved with dogs. The intentional, voluntary intertwining of
our two species' lives and fates is like no other.

And we're headed to space.

The difference between exploring and pioneering is that an explorer
takes a look; a pioneer stays. An explorer might go with a team; a
pioneer brings or builds a family.

And the human family includes dogs. We will not truly be space-faring
until we've brought our species' life-partners with us to share our new homes.

(No, the Soviet test subjects like Dezik, Tsygan, and Laika don't
count. They were, at best, unwilling explorers. Not settlers.)

-- David.