[ExI] Transhumanist exploration game (Anders Sandberg)

Jay Dugger jay.dugger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:28:30 UTC 2015

0608 Monday, 09 November 2015

Hello all:

"Any other explicitly transhumanist games? (I will of course hold up Sid
Meier's Alpha Centauri)"

SMAC, the game where uploaded minds still require food. (Yes, yes, a
bug in the rules, rationalized as each upload population point
representing many uploads and a smaller number of incarnate bodies for
them.)

Setting aside RPGs?

High Frontier
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/172737/high-frontier-3rd-edition

This might not meet the "explicitly transhumanist" requirement, but
this comes close enough for me. By contrast, Kerbal Space Program and
Ad Astra Games' various space combat games do not.

Thank you for mentioning this game. I'd unsubscribed from one of the
blogs that reviewed it after tiring of the writer's didacticism. It
reassures me to learn of it anyway, though I feel disappointed in
Steam's recommendation system ignoring it in favor of regular
pestering about yet another tasteless zombie splatter-fest.

Oh, and Sun Dogs is moddable? Time to dust off my Eclipse Phase material.

--
Jay Dugger
(314) 766-4426