[ExI] Morphological freedom and its limits

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Nov 16 02:43:13 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-15 22:12, BillK wrote:

> One way to look at it is to come from the other direction and consider
> all the ways that it could be used for bad purposes. (And then start
> making laws against these uses).
Laws are beside the point here. They are just one tool among many
(taxation, regulation, social norms, exhortations not to do it...) to
stop something bad from being done. The interesting part to me is (1)
why is modification X bad, and (2) how do you draw the line between
acceptable and bad?

But I do really like the approach. List bad enhancement uses, and then
let's figure out why it is bad.

> Identity theft - Should it be allowed to copy another human?
Note that the crime identity theft involves faking identity in order to
acquire benefits that properly belong to someone, or to do things the
other guy gets blamed for. This is uncontroversially a bad thing. It is
less clear that me taking on your appearance, mannerisms or even DNA is
doing something bad if I have no intention to benefit from you. There is
likely a confusion risk and maybe you can claim that you own your
appearance, style and DNA.

> Persuasion - Should a super-charismatic persona be allowed?
There are already charismatic people around, and for the most part we
love them. We are just concerned that a supercharismatic character will
manipulate us in selfish or dangerous ways... yet the usual smilers
already do it pretty well. One take would be that there really is a
level of persuasion that is unacceptable because it allows them to exert
will on us reliably enough that our will becomes overruled. Another take
would be that persuasion through the usual channels - good arguments,
winning ways, a nice face - is something we understand and can handle
using our normal mental firewalls, while other methods - subliminal
signals, pheromones - might circumvent our firewalls and hence be
unacceptable.

> Beauty - Will ordinary / ugly people become outcasts?
Here the bad is positional. If some get enhanced with a positional
goods, every non-enhanced will be worse off (another classic example is
height). Preventing positional enhancements is a social coordination
issue, where we may want a policy that benefits everybody but has a
temptation to defect.

> Strength - Should weaponised super-strong humans be allowed?
Presumably the bad here is that superstrong people are potentially
dangerous, and beyond some point the risk to others becomes unbearable
and J.S. Mill's harm principle can be applied.

The reversal test is an interesting tool here. Would we be better off if
everybody were weaker, so we were less able to harm each other? It seems
that it would make us do less punching and kicking, but since the major
harms are tool- and weapon-induced, strength might be a red herring.

Incidentally, I considered issues of enhancements in regard to
punishment a while ago. If you are enhanced and go to jail, can you be
(legally and morally) disenhanced? Current laws are pretty strict on
*some* aspects of bodily integrity, but clearly implanted weapons or
other enhancements making you dangerous will trigger the strong rules
about maintaining order.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute