[ExI] CRISPR and Gene Drives

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Nov 20 10:52:56 UTC 2015

On 2015-11-20 10:06, Ben wrote:
> BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "The engineered organisms could upset the delicate balance of an
> ecosystem"
The balance of ecosystems is one of the myths that need to die.

We have known since May's paper in *1973* (
http://www.d.umn.edu/~thrabik/may%201973.pdf ) that generic big
ecosystems are unstable. In the ensuing debate the findings have been
that real ecosystems are more stable than mathematical ones for complex
reasons (
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v405/n6783/full/405228a0.html ),
but in the end this rather leads to the view that ecosystems are
*robust*. They can handle noise and disruptions most of the time, but
they also can shift and adapt. But they are *not* delicately balanced.

The recent gene drive safeguard paper was nice; just the kind of thing
we may want to add as a debug or safety tool.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute