[ExI] bees

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 14:13:42 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 1:27 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> The bees are a part of a bigger topic I have been thinking about for a
> long time: the creation of some kind of systematic way of observing changes
> in nature over time and recording it.  I have been a bee watcher, and I
> know how bees behaved in my own misspent youth.  It feels like bees just
> aren't as robust as I recall them from about 40 yrs ago.  Bees used to
> swarm all over everything while we were working.  Now it seems the hives
> contain about half or possibly less than half the bee population from those
> days.
>
> We might see subtle changes in birds and other beasts as well, but if
> change is gradual, we might not notice.

That's exactly why the National Phenology Network and their Nature's
Notebook exist:

 *   Nature's Notebook *is a national, online program where amateur and
professional naturalists regularly record observations of plants and
animals to generate long-term data sets used for scientific discovery and
decision-making.

https://www.usanpn.org/natures_notebook

Regarding some kind of systematic way to record the natural world, YouTube
> gets me part of the way there.  I am thinking in the big picture here, some
> next-generation indexing method for archiving any natural metric we can
> think of.  We have surface temperature records and these cause us to
> theorize on the notion of global warming.  We should have something
> analogous to temperature data, recording a thousand metrics where now there
> is one.

https://www.usanpn.org/

-Dave