[ExI] A Geophysics problem

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 10:51:08 UTC 2015

On 2 October 2015 at 10:33, Anders Sandberg  wrote:
> On 2015-09-30 16:29, BillK wrote:
>> Isn't LEO up to GSO within the magnetosphere? So the solar wind effect
>> will be reduced before it hits Keith's hydrogen?
>

> Most of the solar wind is neutral hydrogen unaffected by the magnetosphere.

I doubt that you really mean that.  :)
The magnetosphere stops the solar wind stripping Earth's atmosphere away.
Unlike Mars, that lost its magnetosphere and little of the atmosphere
now remains.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energetic_neutral_atom>
Quotes:
The solar wind consists of ripped-apart atoms (called plasma) flying
out of the Sun. This is mostly hydrogen, that is, bare electrons and
protons, with a little bit of other kinds of nuclei, mostly helium.
The space between solar systems is similar, but they come from other
stars in our galaxy. These charged particles can be redirected by
magnetic fields; for instance, Earth's magnetic field shields us from
these particles.

So the earth magnetosphere should deflect most of the solar wind.

BillK