[ExI] Universal timeless principles

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Oct 6 08:22:16 UTC 2015

I attended a lecture on big History by David Christian yesterday. Great
guy, and a very good lecture too. Big History is a fun approach to
learning about the world, https://www.bighistoryproject.com/home

He made a really interesting comment related to the emergence of life
that also relates to this thread. He pointed out that there is universal
information: gravity, electromagnetism and iron behave the same way
everywhere, so an organism does not have to store this information
internally. On the other hand, how the organism is organised is local
information: it is contingent, and if the descrption is lost the
organism cannot survive or reproduce.

(Note that edge cases like viruses to a great extent rely on cells
containing the neccesary information to reproduce: they just contain
information on how to make *themselves*, not how to make proteins or how
to assemble them.)

In regards to universal timeless principles, they might be like
universal information: something that is always true and acting on
relevant systems whether they know it or not. Game theoretic equilibria
and evolutionary stability comes to mind. In many situations that means
you do not even need to know them, they just happen naturally. However,
it might be *efficient* to have explicit representations of such
information. Knowing the laws of electromagnetism allows us to make good
predictions and inventions rather than hope some random configuration
will do the job. Knowing that cooperation is fragile but reinforced by
reputations and altruistic punishment, we can set up our societies to be
better at reputation management and sponsor discouragement of misbehavior.

Conversely, if a principle can be forgotten forever and never
rediscovered, then it is not universal.

So maybe we should consider what kind of "ethics" would be independently
discovered by (1) humans in a parallel world or isolated continent, (2)
aliens, or (3) intelligent agents. Something truly universal would show
up in all categories, something universal-to-evolved-beings would show
up among 1 and 2, something human-universal would be in category 1.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute