[ExI] [Bulk] Alcor, California, and the right to die

rex rex at nosyntax.net
Tue Oct 6 17:06:54 UTC 2015

BillK <pharos at gmail.com> [2015-10-06 09:28]:
> On 6 October 2015 at 16:52, spike  wrote:
> > I was letting the bike do what bikes do so well out there.  I was coming up
> > on Quartzsite AZ, see a semi truck pulled over on the westbound side, driver
> > outside his rig which was on fire.  As I came up on it, the flames broke
> > free and billowed up high from his trailer, which is something one seldom
> > gets to witness.  I let off of the throttle, moved to the right lane, slowed
> > to about 50 miles an hour, when a car came blasting past me, missing me by
> > inches.  He was also looking to his left at the fire, didn’t even see me.
> > That could have been the end of the road for the old Spikester right there
> > out in Quartzsite AZ.
> >

> Everybody that has been a motorcyclist has stories of dicing with
> death and narrow escapes. Those who don't are no longer with us.

Yes. In my USN days a friend's friend was run over and killed from the
rear when they were riding two abreast, much like the scenario Spike
described. I had a number of close calls, but was only hurt seriously
once when I did an endo south of Ensenada and the bike landed on me. It
was almost a year before the last of the residual pain faded away.

-rex