[ExI] Life on Earth likely started 4.1 billion years ago—much earlier than scientists thought

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Oct 20 19:18:15 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-19 23:02, Dan TheBookMan wrote:
> http://phys.org/news/2015-10-life-earth-billion-years-agomuch.html
>
> If true, serious implications for Fermi and the Great Filter(s), no?

Not really, really. Life started suspiciously early even before this.
This just makes whatever weird conclusion (life is super easy/panspermia
is very active, or we are very lucky but there are some rather unlikely
steps between life and intelligence) a bit more extreme.

I am somewhat sceptical about the claim - they have carbon with the
right isotope concentration for enzymatic life, which IMHO is weak evidence.

--
Dr Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute