[ExI] IQ and beauty

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Oct 22 17:30:37 UTC 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf
Of rex

>>...  You just wouldn't be as  likely to choose a boney-ass mate up in that
setting.  Ja?

>...It's far from clear to me that your average unschooled human knows that
endomorphs tend to be more comfortable in cold weather than ectomorphs are.
-rex

Ja, it is plausible the average person wouldn't get that connection.  In
mate selection, the kinds of things humans would notice is the potential
mate's favorite HVAC setting.

I have some fun firsthand observations for you.  In a visit to Fairbanks on
the summer solstice in 1985, I was able to witness firsthand the locals on
an unusually hot day.  It was about 80F.  The locals appeared to really
suffer.  I don't even get comfortable until hits the 80s.

Second observation: in 1988, I was living in the California desert region
where we go a month at a time every year when every day exceeds 110F.  We
hired a guy from UCLA named George Oh Way who was a full-blooded Inuit but
was born in LA and grew up there.  George was about 5 ft and I would
estimate his weight at about 320 lb (do pardon my use of the oddball units
Europeans and sane people among us (150 cm, perhaps 150 kg.))  George was a
delightful colleague, smart as a whip, funny sense of humor, enjoyed
demonstrating that his belt was as long as he was, etc.

In the same room, he would be sweating while I was shivering.  I am 6 ft and
about 125 lbs.   I bundled up a bit, George and I dealt with it.

I wish I could tell you it had a happy ending.  One Monday George didn't
show up for work.  Called his house, nada.  Reported to security as was
required (he had a security clearance.)  Next day, no George.  They went by
his house, TV on, no answer, car out front.  Called the parameds, broke is
door, found him dead sitting in a chair, 43 yrs old.  Apparently he had
something going on with his heart but to this day I have had to wonder if
the desert heat contributed to his demise.  He just wasn't built for it.