[ExI] IQ and beauty

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 04:51:11 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 4:51 PM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> ​> ​
> Inuits, from my reading, tend to get obese not because that's their normal
> body thingy but because they tend to adopt a bad diet.

​I
nuits eat more animal fat and protein
​ ​
and less fruit and vegetables than any other people in the world
​and​
 yet cardiovascular disease is
​ ​
very
​ ​
rare
​ ​for them
and prostate cancer virtually unknown
​;​
their diet may be bad but they've thrived on i
​t​
for centuries, but then they had to.

> ​> ​
> The same thing happens to Polynesians. And Polynesia isn't known for being
> frigid. So, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from body shape and size.

​The ancestors of the
 Polynesians
​ were the survivors of epic long sea voyages, most people would not
survive such a voyage but those that did probably had a
 natural metabolism
​that ​
stored more body fat than
​the ​
average
​person,
 and those genes would
​be the genes that ​
survive
​d to this day​
. Maybe that's why Polynesians suffer more from obesity than other people
​.​

> ​> ​
> Add to this, skinny people in Africa are often skinny because they have a
> calorie poor diet.

Usually but not always, sometimes the cause is in the genes.

​The ​
Maasai
​ ​
and
​
​
Dinka
​​
people live in a part of Sudan that is very hot
​ ​and
 dry, and their body
​is of a ​
shape
​
 to maximize evaporative cooling with
​its​
 big surface
​ area
 to volume
​ ratio​;
 they tend to be thin and very tall, the average woman
​ ​
is 6 feet tall and the average man is 6 feet 4 inches. Pygmies on the other
hand live where
​it's​
 hot and humid and
​ ​so
evaporative cooling
​ ​
would do little good
​,​
so the best
​way​
 to stay cool
​there ​
is to just be small, so the average woman is
​ ​
4 foot 4 inches
​ ​
tall and the average man