[ExI] Long Posting Delays

F. C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Sat Oct 31 03:25:24 UTC 2015

There is always the "Fun" activity of digging through the email headers
and checking for delays.  For example an ISP might be doing a check for
Spma   or malware before sending the message on to the next hop in its
journey.  Of course there are two parts to the path; one part which goes
from the sender to the extropy mail server and the second part which is
from the extropy mail server to the recipient.  The second part can be
checked by a recipient.  So if a person sends a message to the list then
they can check the headers and determine if the delay was about the same
on both parts of the trip or if one had a greater delay than the other
or the third possibility which is that if was delayed while on the
extropy mail server itself if the server was really busy. This last is
not often the case but I have seen it happen.  For example on a postfix
server check the directories for deferred emails and you can quickly see
if the messages are clearing out nicely or if they are piling up.

Fred