[ExI] Fwd: Re: AI risks

Ben bbenzai at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 7 14:11:13 UTC 2015

BillK wrote:

 > As AI gradually develops, the temptation to misuse the
 > developing power will be difficult to resist.

And Rafal mentioned the eventual erasure of the distinction between
benevolence and malice.

The thing that strikes me is that 'misuse' and 'good use' are not
absolute things, but points of view (and I don't mean in some abstract
philosophical sense).

The very idea of 'erasing the distinction' presupposes that there is a
distinction in the first place, but what is it?  Who can make it?

It should be obvious that the terms 'belevolence' and 'malice' mean
different things depending on who you are and what your values are. The
chinese government, NSA, North Korea, Saudi royal family, New Hampshire,
the Icelanders, ISIS, the Koch brothers, the Catholic church, the people
who think Julian Assange is a saint, the people who think he's an
antichrist, etc., etc., all have their own take on what is which.

As there is zero probability of all these different points of view ever
agreeing, the whole concept of distinguishing between 'good use' and
'bad use' of AI is meaningless.  I don't know what the answer is, but I
do think it's a waste of time talking in these terms.  We need a new
angle on the whole thing.

Ben Zaiboc