[ExI] managing omnicidal maniacs

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 00:29:37 UTC 2015

He is an interesting case. Not desiring the end of the world, but quite
> willing to develop tools that made it more likely - and aware of it.
> Adrian's point about suicidality is interesting. I think there is a
> difference between wanting to end one's life and ending humanity. The
> latter may not be seen as an escape, but as an eschatological completion,
> and hence appeal to a different kind of person.
>
> It is interesting to note that there are philosophies that advocate
> extinction on moral grounds - that it is better not to exist or feel pain,
> or that the entities that matter morally are better off without humans
> around. These arguments, while rarely moving anybody to do anything, are
> not primarily suicidal.
>
> Anders Sandberg Future of Humanity Institute Oxford Martin School Oxford
> University
>
> ​Unfortunately there are many suicidal people who do act and who take
their children or some others with them, presumably on the basis of its
being better not to exist.​

​  I would not call this a philosophy, though.  It's a decision based on
emotions, primarily, not thinking.  (I think there are very different
motives whether it's their children or strangers.)

Viewed objectively, the decision to take others' lives without their
permission is the most unbelievable act of arrogance I can imagine. I do
wonder who would act if they could push a button and end the world, or just
humanity.

 bill w​