[ExI] end of worlders - was managing omnicidal maniacs

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 20:09:25 UTC 2015

When Prophecy Fails - book (written by two psychology 'moles') about an end
of the world cult in the 50s.  When the spaceship did not arrive at the
predicted time, saving them and only them from destruction, they went into
a huddle and came up with a different prophecy, rather than turning against
the one they had.  They just changed the date!  Nearly impossible to shake
delusions, esp. religious ones.

An old scifi story sticks in my mind - aliens gas the planet, killing off
all people with IQs below 150.  If you could kill off the teeming masses
some consider no longer needed in this world, what would you do?  Me?
Could not do it, I think.....but it would surely save us a lot of
difficulty and save many animals from going extinct.  What if you could
push the button and make them sterile?

bill w