[ExI] re end of world

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Sep 10 22:38:06 UTC 2015

What happens is that the new mean intelligence is 150+ (as by the old
scale), turning into a new normal distribution. (I ran a quick Matlab
test).

What is going on is that the intelligence is due to a lot of genes
adding about 1% or less each, so removing the <150 IQ population mainly
removes some very bad genes and decreases the somewhat bad genes: there
is still a lot of genetic diversity. So the new mean goes up, but the
variance stays about the same.

On 2015-09-10 23:15, William Flynn Wallace wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com
> <mailto:msd001 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 4:12 PM, William Flynn Wallace
>     <foozler83 at gmail.com <mailto:foozler83 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > If all people with IQs below 150 became sterile, would the gene
>     pool that
>     > was left eventually create a population averaging 100 IQ?
>
>     Yes, because the 'average' is 100.  That may be an order of magnitude
>     more capable, it would still be measured as 100.
>
>     In order words, you would effectively lower the IQ of every survivor,
>
>     "lies, damned lies, statistics"
>

> ​ well, yes, I suppose I worded that awkwardly.  What I meant was,
> would the mental ability of the average person who survived eventually
> regress to the mental ability we now call IQ 100?  I don't know enough
> genetics to answer that. bill w​

Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute
Oxford Martin School