[ExI] re end of world

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 00:09:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 6:38 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> What happens is that the new mean intelligence is 150+ (as by the old
> scale), turning into a new normal distribution. (I ran a quick Matlab
> test).
>
> What is going on is that the intelligence is due to a lot of genes adding
> about 1% or less each, so removing the <150 IQ population mainly removes
> some very bad genes and decreases the somewhat bad genes: there is still a
> lot of genetic diversity. So the new mean goes up, but the variance stays
> about the same.

### Oops, I just sent an unmodified message. Please disregard it.

Are you sure the variance would stay the same? Wouldn't removing 99.9570883466%
of the population from the reproductive pool lower diversity?

The IQ of their offspring would be of course less than 150, with regression
to the mean, but there would be still a substantial boost over the current
average, to about 130 (
http://infoproc.blogspot.com/2010/07/assortative-mating-regression-and-all.html)
and the residual SD would be about 12.

A good reason to make and sequence thousands of zygotes before proceeding
to term. For the squeamish you might try to develop a post-meiotic gamete
cloning procedure, followed by mass sequencing and zygote generation from
vetted but otherwise unmodified gametes.

Rafał