[ExI] re end of world

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 21:04:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

It is known that the opposite effect happens: beautiful people are
> perceived as smarter.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness_stereotype
> without actually being smarter:
> Feingold, Alan (March 1992). "Good-looking people are not what we think".
> Psychological Bulletin 111 (2): 304–341. doi:10.1037/0033-2909.111.2.304.

### This one says there is a significant positive correlation between
physical attractiveness and IQ:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0063975#s1

-----------

> for an opposing view that I am not very convinced by; one should really go
> to the empirical literature and dig in rather than wave around theorems).
>
> In any case, maybe learning that somebody is intelligent will cause a halo
> effect making us think they must be beautiful too?
>
> (Leaving aside how sparkly personality or other cleverness can compensate
> for a homely appearance. That is how I do it. Sparkle sparkle sparkle.)

### Smart people are frequently fun and stimulating to talk to, and I would
imagine it could cause a halo effect spilling over into assessments of
other qualities, including facial appearance.

Rafal