[ExI] Nice article on Brain preservation and Alcor

James Clement clementlawyer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 06:08:16 UTC 2015

Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/us/cancer-immortality-cryogenics.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1
>
> "When all that remained was to continue the cooling with liquid
> nitrogen gas, Josh looked into her face for the last time. They had
> done, he thought, the best they could."
>
> Keith

I knew Amy from when she wrote an article in the NYT magazine about
personal genomics, when I was a director of Knome. When Kim Suozzi was
alive, and seeking funding for her cryonics, I urged Amy to cover the
story, and try to help get publicity about Kim's kickstarter campaign to
raise money for her cryopreservation. She was unable to get her editor to
agree to this (she was told they don't promote individual charity cases  -
they'd be overwhelmed by such, if they did so), but she was allowed to
interview Kim, Josh, and others to see if she could make it into an
outcome-related human interest story. The story has been in the works now
for a year and a half.

All in all, I think Amy wrote a fairly balanced piece and it's especially
positive that the Times gave it front page coverage.

If only fewer of the comments weren't so vehemently anti-cryonics.

Best regards,

James