[ExI] silly 'rules'

Dan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 20:51:02 UTC 2015

On Friday, September 18, 2015 1:04 PM Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recall a high school English teacher assigning me
> to write a story, exactly two paragraphs per day -
> no more, no less.  I could buffer ideas for future
> days' paragraphs, but not actually write them.  I
> remember doing that exercise more than once, the last
> time taking a bit past 3 weeks (getting the story to a
> good conclusion).

I envy you. I think I had one high school class where we had to write a story. I don't remember the teacher giving us any more instruction then to just have it in by the end of the week. Mine was a kind of utopian look at the future. :)

> The idea was to practice discipline.  I'd already done
> some story writing.  And...even adults, but definitely
> children, might appreciate certain forms of art more if
> they have at least dabbled in the rudiments of the craft,
> rather than leaving the whole thing as a black box to
> them.  (Though there is a fear among many that this
> actually reduces the capacity for enjoyment, seeing
> everything in bland mechanics.  I can not say for
> certain whether this actually happens to some, even
> many, but I live an example proof that it need not be so.)

I can see both sides of that. :)

Regards,

Dan
 Sample my Kindle books via: