[ExI] silly 'rules'

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 00:28:43 UTC 2015

On Sep 18, 2015 1:51 PM, "Dan" <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday, September 18, 2015 1:04 PM Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I recall a high school English teacher assigning me
> > to write a story, exactly two paragraphs per day -
> > no more, no less.  I could buffer ideas for future
> > days' paragraphs, but not actually write them.  I
> > remember doing that exercise more than once, the last
> > time taking a bit past 3 weeks (getting the story to a
> > good conclusion).
>
> I envy you. I think I had one high school class where we had to write a
story. I don't remember the teacher giving us any more instruction then to
just have it in by the end of the week. Mine was a kind of utopian look at
the future. :)

Well, the thing about that exercise?  Even adults can do it.  Anyone
reading these words, if you want to be an author, you can start that
exercise right now (assuming you have the physical ability to write right
now; if not, then when next you have that ability).

Separately, that kind of thing is shown to be effective, so why don't more
English teachers do it?