[ExI] former deceased nfl players...

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 03:11:56 UTC 2015

On Sunday, 20 September 2015, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 8:21 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','spike66 at att.net');>> wrote:
>>

>> Every time we buy a ticket to a pro football game, every time we
>> patronize a college bowl game or even the local high school team, we
>> encourage a sport for which we now have pleeeeenty of evidence wrecks their
>> brains, plenty.  Ja I know it is a fun sport to watch.  But it is bad news,
>> very bad news.  If we participate at any level, we have helped these
>> galoots do this to themselves.
>>

>> Go ahead, I am prepared to have my ass kicked, and I probably deserve
>> it.  But football wrecks brains, and our society causes football.  So where
>> is the collective guilt?
>>

> ### I'll one-up you on that: They say that transmitting one megabyte of
> data over the internet equals a pound of coal (or something - exact numbers
> are for bores). There is a miner or trucker or some other poor schlub
> killed for every couple gigawatts that are used to push these bytes between
> us. So, Spike, you just callously contributed, through your internet and
> electricity demand, to the death on an innocent blue-collar worker! And he
> has children, who are now crying inconsolably!!
>
> Are you feeling guilty yet?  :)
>
> Rafał

The 1lb coal for 1 megabyte data figure can't be right. Global coal
production in 2012 was 1.7e10 pounds, while estimated global IP traffic in
2015 is 8.7e14 megabytes (72.4 exabytes per month). I guess your figure
must have come from much earlier in the history of the Internet. I remember
that my dialup modem and the laptop straining to push the kilobytes through
it used to get pretty hot in the 1990's.

--
Stathis Papaioannou