[ExI] Fwd: [x-risk] Martin Rees and Huw Price on the Posthuman World

scerir scerir at alice.it
Thu Sep 24 16:04:52 UTC 2015

"There may be billions of Earth-like planets in our galaxy alone, and hundreds of billions of other galaxies, similarly rich with the kind of environments we know to be favorable for our sort of life. Unless we're a lot more special than at present we have any reason to think -- it seems likely that other technological civilizations have reached this point and perhaps had these kind of thoughts."

### According to Sharov and Gordon [1] life takes 10 billion years to evolve to the level of complexity associated with humans. Then we may be the first intelligent civilisation in our galaxy. And this could be the reason why when we gaze into space, we do not yet see signs of other intelligent species. Or are they wrong [2]? Any idea?

[1] http://arxiv.org/abs/1304.3381

[2] http://arxiv.org/abs/1306.0071