[ExI] Fwd: story

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 16:22:49 UTC 2015

My notion is that the best fantasy is vaguely based on reality in a sense.
That might apply to SciFi as well.spike
The hardest thing in scifi is to make up an alien culture.
Understandably.  You can see human parallels in all of them.  I am not sure
it is even possible to totally get out of the human ways of seeing things,
but the best writers do a credible job.

Tolkien said often that there was no meaning to his fantasies, no
symbolism, no religious significance, etc.  But you can interpret anything
as having something behind it, intentional or not.

A great example (of something, I am not sure what) is Two Men and a Boat,
written in the 19th century as just a story.  But when it was published it
was read by most people as hilarious.  Odd, very odd, that the author did
not see that himself.  When he later tried to write funny stuff, he failed.

What future writers will do is not known, but the basic themes of scifi
have been used up and no one can think of another one that doesn't involve
time travel, aliens peaceful or not, advanced science, multiple universes
and a few more.  So it's getting harder to write good stuff.  Much the same
can be said about fantasy - limited themes.

Notice how plays and musical and movies often take off from earlier works,
making sequels, rewriting them and so on.  How many works are, in fact,
thinly disguised versions of Romeo and Juliet?  bill w