[ExI] Business Ethics - Oxymoron?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 22:49:57 UTC 2015

I think Anders brings up a good point.  In a society where government
agencies like the EPA and hundreds of others supposedly protect us the
reputation of a company in and of itself is of less economic value.
Another take on that is that if the government establishes standards and
procedures and they are followed in a line of business to do business at
all then any particular company has little reputation incentive to exceed
those standards.

If reputation is economically not that important barring some disastrous
hit on reputation and whether one does much better than the required is not
that much incentive either then companies will compete negatively by
attempting to cheat or bribe or control the standards.