[ExI] Objective standards?

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:35:27 UTC 2015

>> We already have excellent objective standards in literature: sales receipts.
>
> I would not consider sales receipts to be literature... though I guess
> your accountant can tell quite a story when all those moments are
> reviewed for a year. :)

I didn't read that as Spike calling sales receipts literature, but as him saying they indicated a piece of literature's quality. Ditto for other arts. I'm not saying I agree, but were it true than Shakespeare definitely sells. And so does Beethoven. (Not sure what William has against either since both are far more popular outside the cultural elites and professorial class than, say, Brecht (in drama) and Schoenberg (in music), though those two are not lacking in the sales department.)

Regards,

Dan