[ExI] Objective standards?

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 18:23:12 UTC 2015

Measured by that standard, the Beatles anthology followed by Fleetwood Mac
constitute the classical music of the 20th century.

I'd argue that you can't compare Shakespeare and comic books.  The latter
probably outsell the former.

Classical music, esp. since around 1900, became too complex for the common
man to understand. Much of it, like Schoenberg, is actually pretty ugly.
People like nursery tunes, Disney, hymns, TV and movie music, all strictly
tonal and easily sung (and some classical music IS like that, though it
will never compete with popular stuff).

A shame we can't compare the Beetles and Beethoven in 100 years.  But I
think Ludwig will be remembered more.

bill w