[ExI] A Geophysics problem

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 14:42:19 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 5:00 AM,  Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:

snip

> My non-expert guess is the amount is trivial compared with the baseline by three or four orders of magnitude. Still, there might be small regions where it might not be trivial. And, again, we can get some data from existing electric propulsion use as well from neutral exhaust to see how quickly it clears the system.

The particles trapped in the Earth's field is on the order of single
digit kilograms and the residence time is around 6 months.  In half a
year the reaction mass expended by a power satellite project is around
a million tons or 10^9 kg.  Swamping the existing particles by a
billion fold seems likely to do something.

Keith