[ExI] Why Physics Needs Philosophy

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 22:38:57 UTC 2016

*Feynman (by John)  ​*
*Another guy got up, and another, and I tell you I have never heard such
ingenious different ways of looking at a brick before. And, just like it
should in all stories about philosophers, it ended up in complete chaos. In
all their previous discussions they hadn't even asked themselves whether
such a simple object as a brick, much less an electron, is an "essential
object"."*

​An argument in ancient Greece, which I remember well, Spike, about what a
human was, ended with a definition that man was a featherless biped.  At
the next meeting a guy threw a plucked chicken on the table.

Once you start arguing definitions, it will always end up in chaos.  In
psych we used the term 'operational definition'.  I don't know what terms
other areas like physics use, but it have to be something similar.  So,
say, 'intelligence for the purposes of this study is defined as scores on
the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children (WISC)".  ​Since what
intelligence 'really is' has never been settled, we have to use such
operational definitions.  Of course, many will say that that test doesn't
really measure intelligence, and so we day, OK, go do your own research.

And so they do.  Multiple intelligences were popular at one time and still
are in places, but the scores seemed to correlate so highly with the
conventional tests that a separate definition of intelligence seems
unnecessary.  This has been the fate of quite a number of different
definitions and tests of intelligence.

What John seems to be arguing, and I fully agree, is that philosophers keep
on arguing about the same old things and never get off the pot and do
something.  Maybe these new 'experimental philosophers' will.

Then some wag like me will come along and say:  you don't understand.  Any
concept - any word - is no more and no less that what you define it as.  It
has no separate existence..
​It's an abstraction.  And then you can be the one to go refute that by
kicking a rock.​

​bill w​